Can You Really Build a Profitable Business in Direct Sales
Can You Really Build a Profitable Business in Direct Sales
There are many different ways to make money from home. When I first decided to walk away from my corporate career, I knew I wanted (and needed) some part-time work to help in paying the bills. Though I knew what type of work I didn’t want to do (a part-time job outside the home), I didn’t know exactly what I did want to do.
I immediately started browsing the work at home forums on mommy sites and found quite a few discussions on direct sales positions. I read all the information I could, especially the responses to questions like, “Can you really make money in direct sales?”
I immediately started browsing the work at home forums on mommy sites and found quite a few discussions on direct sales positions. I read all the information I could, especially the responses to questions like, “Can you really make money in direct sales?”
I started researching thoroughly, and ended up joining three different direct sales companies over a two-year period. Though I’m not currently working in direct sales (I opted to start my own social media marketing business), I loved every minute of it.
In case you may love it too, I’m sharing the results of my research here so you can make an informed choice:
What is a Direct Sales Business?
Direct sales companies sell their products or services person-to-person through independent sales reps and not in retail stores. Direct sellers, who are also called consultants, distributors or other titles, are not employees of the company. They are independent contractors who receive a commission on the sales of the products or services they market for the company.
As an Independent sales rep, you are generally paid a commission on each product or service you sell. Some direct sales companies will also pay you commission on the sales of the consultants you’ve recruited. You are able to work from home and set your own hours.
Types of Direct Sales Opportunities
Almost any product or service can be bought through direct selling. From wellness products, to skincare; from health benefits, to home decor, you can find it all. Some of the more popular direct sales companies include:
Rodan and Fields Mary Kay Cabi
AmeriPlan Avon Body by Vi
Stella and Dot Chloe + Isabel DoTerra Essential Oils
Pampered Chef Scentsy It Works!
AmeriPlan Avon Body by Vi
Stella and Dot Chloe + Isabel DoTerra Essential Oils
Pampered Chef Scentsy It Works!
There is a complete direct sales company list available for more ideas and detailed descriptions.
How to Know if Direct Sales is for You
There are certain skills that those who excel in direct sales possess. They include:
Strong organizational skills
Flexibility
Discipline to work on own
Actual love for and belief in the product or service the potential company sells. Your reputation is at stake.
Enjoy sales or at least adept at it
Outgoing and self-motivated
So if you are a self-starter, disciplined, confident, with high energy and are really passionate about the products you will be selling, a direct sales career may be for you.
How to Get Started in Direct Sales
The first step is to research various companies and find one that appeals to you. The key is to find a product or service that you would use yourself. After reviewing the company’s website, research them on the Better Business Bureau site and with the state consumer protection agencies to see if any complaints have been filed against them. If some have been filed, review why and whether they were resolved.
Also, try to find representatives of the company you know to get a first-hand review or check work at home forums for any posted reviews. Before you sign up, be sure to ask a lot of questions, including:
What are the start up costs, if any?
Are there monthly fees involved?
How much inventory are you required to purchase and what happens to unsold inventory should you decide to leave the company?
How is compensation figured? It should be based on the sales of products or services – a key sign of a legitimate business.
Once you feel comfortable with the answers, choose a company and sign up. Be sure to test the products or services before marketing them to others.
Next, set up your company-supplied website or create your own, then complete any training offered by the company and gain a comfort level with the marketing process. You’re now ready to schedule your first business launch and begin introducing your products or services to your potential customers.
Useful Direct Sales Links:
- https://www.facebook.com/RisingStarsEvents/
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/DirectSalesAdvertisingResources/
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/directsalesconnections/
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/SocialNetworkingforBusiness/
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/AmazingEvents4You/
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/PostUrBizHere/
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/HelpingyouSucceedinSmallBusiness/
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/toponlinesellers/
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/SmallBusinessOwnersNetwork101/
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/AdUrBizHere/
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/WomenEntrepreneursNetworking/
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/MidwestVENDORevents/
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/AdvertisingInTheUSA/
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/EventAds/
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/ProfessionalWomensNetworkingFriendsgroup/
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/SmallBusinessOwners101/
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/DirectSalesMen/
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/SmBUSINESSNet/
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/DSCIDHSB/


Comments
Post a Comment